What Students Should Know About JCU Immigration Services

July 1, 2021
Students waiting to begin the Immigration process

Every year, John Cabot University welcomes international students to its Rome campus via the university’s study abroad programs. Whether you hold an Italian passport, a European passport, or a non-European passport, it’s important to understand the requirements for entering and staying in Italy, so you can be well-prepared for your study abroad opportunity. 

At JCU, our Immigrations Services Office is there to assist students throughout the Italian immigration process by providing them with the resources they need to ensure their official status in Italy. Our staff can offer specialized knowledge to incoming students according to their length of study and serve as the primary point of contact once students arrive in Rome. 

To learn more about the immigration services offered at JCU, here’s an overview of some of the application processes and documentation that we’re here to assist with. 


JCU Assists With Visa Applications

If you’ve been researching universities in Rome and have reached the point of applying to study abroad, the first step in the immigration process is understanding the Italian visa requirements. It’s important to note that immigration requirements vary by student, and to ensure you’re following the steps for your personal circumstances.  

European citizens do not need to apply for either a study visa or a Permit to Stay. If you are an Italian citizen or a citizen of an EU country, you must present the Immigration Services Office with a copy of your passport through the school’s Online Orientation portal, so that JCU can validate your immigration status in Italy prior to the start of your study abroad program. 

Non-European citizens are required to apply for a study visa in order to legally enter Italy. JCU assists those students through the application process. Once you’re accepted into a program at JCU, our admissions office will provide the relevant information and documents needed to apply for your visa. After receiving that information, students are responsible for obtaining their visa prior to their arrival in Italy. 

JCU’s immigration services advise students to begin the process early, as visas can take up to two months to be issued.


JCU encourages students to verify their individual visa requirements 


Getting Your Permit to Stay

After receiving your visa to study abroad in Italy, you will need to submit your request for a Permit to Stay within 8 days of entering Italy. This permit allows you to legally study and live in Italy. 

John Cabot helps students kickstart the process before their arrival through MyOrientation. Students should begin their Permit to Stay application through the MyOrientation portal, where they must submit copies of their passport, valid health insurance in Italy, study visa, and proof of financial support. Students can pay the Permit to Stay request fee through a link on MyOrientation. 

After arriving on campus in Rome, Orientation will provide students with further assistance on the remaining immigration steps. The Immigrations Services Office will accompany students to the local Post Office, along with their passport, where they will be issued their Permit to Stay receipt.


Orientation services guide JCU students on the immigration steps to follow before and after their arrival in Italy


Assistance With Health Insurance

Under Italian law, all foreign students residing in Italy must hold valid medical insurance, regardless of whether they need a visa. Their health insurance plan must remain valid throughout their entire stay in Italy. 

JCU offers students the chance to obtain health insurance through Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). Both Italian and non-Italian students at JCU are eligible to apply for the CISI plan. Students can request further information from CISI on their coverage, including pre-existing conditions, emergency repatriation, and prescriptions. 

If students opt to obtain health insurance on their own, they must upload proof of their plan to the MyOrientation portal. 



Are you interested in hearing more about our English language university in Rome?

Contact John Cabot University for more information on our study abroad programs!

View all posts

Subscribe and stay up to date

Subscribe and stay up to date