Study Abroad Spotlight: Evani Popdoncheva, Spring 2019

December 18, 2020

Hi, my name is Evani Popdoncheva and I am from Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria. My home university was Northeastern University in Boston, MA ,where I recently completed my undergraduate education in Marketing and Finance. After my second year in the US, I was missing Europe so I started exploring study abroad options. John Cabot University was the perfect fit for my concentration because it offered just the classes I needed. At the beginning of 2019, I packed my bags and moved to Rome for four months. The feeling was new and certainly very exciting.

Overall, my experience was incredible. The main reason for this was the people I met on my journey. I had the most interesting, intelligent, and warm-hearted professors - learning was never as fun and enjoyable as with the group of people who were leading my lectures in Rome. The small classes (about 12 students each) allowed me to connect with each one of my professors and learn from them - not only about the subject they were teaching but also about work experiences and opportunities, masters programs, life around the world, and much more.

Volunteering while studying sbroad

Student life at JCU was amazing. The university has a great variety of student-led clubs and organizations where I met most of my very close friends that I still keep in touch with. There are always events, trips, and outings organized by the clubs and the university which keep students engaged in the community. JCU also coordinates multiple volunteer opportunities throughout the semester. JCU's Office of Community Service, Religious Life, and Multiculturalism organizes weekly trips to volunteer with the local community. Joining them to be an English instructor at Casa Internazionale delle Donne was a wonderful idea as I got to meet local people and practice my Italian while having a ton of fun.

Living life like an Italian

Of course, it is impossible not to experience Italian culture and especially food in Trastevere, the neighborhood where JCU is located. All the little bars and restaurants on the narrow Roman streets in this area are the perfect place to meet with friends for pasta or an aperitivo and enjoy a good time. Living in the Gianicolo Residence was very convenient as it is super close to the university. JCU supplies students with bed linens, towels, and kitchen equipment which made my move very easy. Also, I always felt safe and comfortable in my temporary home.

Lessons I learned studying abroad

My biggest takeaway from studying abroad is that I shouldn’t be afraid to take more risks and jump into the unknown. I did not know anything about JCU before arriving at the campus in January. I was scared at times, not knowing what would come out of this journey, but looking back, it was the best decision I could have made for myself at the time. I fell in love with the city, made life-long friends, learned a lot (about me, about Italy, about Rome), and had a lovely time.

I’d advise anyone considering studying abroad at JCU to have an open mind. Fewer expectations and more curiosity proved to be the right recipe for me. JCU’s staff are incredible people who are experienced and always ready to help – whether it’s classes, clubs, entertainment, food, dorm life, safety, settling in – they will be there for you. It’s okay to be scared but know that you can always seek help. So once you know that, go ahead and meet new people, chat with your professors after class, join a few clubs, go explore the city. There’s so much that JCU and Rome will offer you, it’s just a matter of how much you’re willing to take.

Evani Popdoncheva, JCU Study Abroad Alumna, Spring 2019

Hometown: Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria

Home University: Northeastern University

Business Administration Major, Marketing and Finance Minors

View all posts

Subscribe and stay up to date

Subscribe and stay up to date

Request Info »