Club Spotlight: Q&A with the MUN Society

August 12, 2020

The Model United Nations (MUN) Society at John Cabot University is a very active student organization. In addition to holding weekly meetings and monthly mock sessions, they also regularly attend international MUNs and host a conference annually at JCU.

In February 2020, the society hosted the JCU MUN Conference, which brought together 115 university students from 12 different universities across Europe and North America. During this three-day event, students from around the world had the opportunity to develop their diplomatic, negotiating, and conflict-resolution skills.

JCU's Student Services Office recently caught up with Class of 2020 graduate Luana Maria Pallaro, who was the President of the JCU MUN Society during the 2019-2020 academic year.  They asked her some questions about her leadership style and what it means to be involved in JCU's student-led clubs and organizations. Here's what she had to say!

What inspired you to become a team leader, and why did you choose to join the MUN Society? 

"I've been participating in MUN since I was in high school, and have always had an interest in diplomacy, international organizations, and current global issues. My main goal of becoming president of JCU MUN was to teach other students about what MUN has to offer and expand JCU interest for the club overall." 

JCU Student Luana Maria Pallaro

How would you describe your leadership style? 

"I'm a coach-style leader. I have always tried to be there for my fellow peers, no matter what. Regardless if they are professionals or newcomers, I am constantly checking up on them, making sure they understand the rules of procedure, the topic, and that they are comfortable in the position they hold. I am always happy to help."   

What values are important to you as a leader? 

"One main value for MUN is the commitment to the club. As an academic club, there is a lot of work that goes into it, such as preparing for a conference. I understand that students have other activities, but I truly value when a member highlights how important MUN is to him or her." 

Follow the MUN Society on their Instagram. To learn more about Clubs and Organizations at JCU, contact admissions@johncabot.edu.

View all posts

Subscribe and stay up to date

Subscribe and stay up to date

Request Info »